Monday, April 2, 2012

My, My Mailbox 4/2/12


I've been slacking on this segment! Shame, shame!

My mailbox has been very happy as of late, so I have quite  a lot of material for this segment for the near future, but here's just a few.

C.L.A.P. Zine (Creative Ladies are Powerful)// DoublePeace on Etsy

A feminist zine written by a collective of creative folks. The cover is one of my favorite drawings by Sydney. I enjoyed reading this zine because its very organized in to segments like an actual magazine, but still keeps the xeroxed zine aesthetic that I hold so close and dear to my heart.
Some of the content is really handy, theres an advice column, a poetry section, AND my favorite part of this zine, is their interview with Marissa Moss, who created the children's book series Amelia's notebook back in the 90's. Which I was OBSESSED with as a kid. If you weren't familiar with or read Amelia's notebook, it was about a girl (name Amelia, duh) and her journal/notebook. The series was all of her journal entries, set up in handwritten type and doodles sprawled across the pages. Much like a perzine, now that I think of it. It was so awesome. The zine also has some helpful articles and women's health and all that. So, I pretty much loved everything about CLAP zine. I hope to possibly contribute sometime in the future!

Cathartic Method// a perzine by Heather NickelPlatedAngel on Etsy 

I saw a picture of the cover of this zine on my tumblr feed, and it has a cat on the cover. And I love perzines, so I bought it, and I'm glad I did. This zine talks a lot about self care and different methods of taking care of yrself, and loving yourself, because hey, its important. Theres also lots of random musings in the zine that I found amusing, and it made me smile.

Mend my Dress// by Neely Bat Chesnut, NeelyBat on Etsy  

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that i love Neely's work/writing. Theres something about Neely's personal writing that's mysterious, but but just the right amount, and the feeling of her zines stick with you. I also am drawn to the format, folded up like a brochure with drawings, collages, and stickers making them one of the most visually appealing zines I own.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Thanks for blogging about cathartic method! Cool I feel special!