Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Bang Makeover

So, I was going to do this last week, but the weather was so dark, meaning no good lighting!

I saw a vintage info graphic on tumblr (can't find the source, surprise, surprise, tumblr) that inspired this bang cutting tutorial. Enjoy!


It's pretty self explanatory, all you need it artist's tape (that's not masking tape I'm using), a comb and shears. Comb your dry bangs, then position a strip of artist's tape straight across, and then cut along the top, the tape providing a nice straight line for you as a guide. I used artist's tape because you can see it (unlike scotch tape) and the adhesive is less harsh than most tapes, so if you need to pull it off the re-position it, your hair won't get pulled out.
I always cut mine very short, because I like to not have to cut my bangs very often. And I kinda wanna look like Jennifer Goodwin in Mona Lisa Smile.


There you have it! Be sure to take your time while butting and double check that you positioned the tape at your desired length. It's easy to miscalculate, I've done it plenty of times!
And my Hairdresser Blues comb from Hunx arrived today! Great timing.

Love,
Midge

9 comments:

Johnna.Lafaith said...

Any tips for bangs like this when you have a heavy cowlick? I love this look but am at a loss for the best way to get it... and i haven't been to the hair dresser since I was 13! ;)

Meghan said...

Your hair is a dream! This sounds like the perfect combatant against cutting your bangs unevenly.

Judith said...

Wow that's a great idea and it looks great!

Sasha Fitzgerald said...

Your hair looks fantastic! What a great tip haha! :)

- Sasha
www.lacewinged.com

Stephanie said...

This is a great trick! I'll have to remember this in the future when my bangs need a trim. :)

Modern Girl Blitz said...

Ack! I'm afraid I'm no help in that dept. I have cowlicks in the back of my head, and when I had super sort hear I could never figure out how to tame them..

hannaH said...

ahhh, this is such a great idea! I'm always so terrible at cutting my bangs myself, but this will help!

Becky said...

This is amazing! I haven't had anyone else cut my hair for years and I'm in a constant state of re-trimming to make my fringe straight (when I actually bother to cut it anyway!). I'll definitely be trying this.

mary van note said...

I'm trying this AHORA!