Friday, June 7, 2013

Gotta Run

 photo IMG_3052_zps74ec0171.jpg  photo IMG_3057_zps1e0d604d.jpg

Top// H&M
Cardigan & Shoes// Abound (Nordstrom Rack)
Skirt// Thrifted
Glasses// Coastal
Brooch// Daisy's Creations 

Aw jeez! I swear the minute I slipped these tights on that got that huge run. right after getting them in the mail from ebay. This always happens to me, and I know I am not the only one. It stinks cause they're so cute and I really wanted large polka dots tights for a while. 
Lovely readers: do any of you know of any fairly inexpensive tights that won't fall apart the minute they make contact with my legs? Tell me your hosiery secrets! 
I do have one tip that my Aunt Glo told me on Facebook, and it sounds like some sort of joke but she swears by it: put them in the freezer for 24 hours before putting them on. I haven't tried this, but she said it works! Either that or she's playing some sort of prank on me, to get me to put ice cold tights on, or it's some sort of freezer witchery. 
So, aside from my hosiery casualties, I really, really love this outfit. I wear this skirt too much, But it's just too perfect. I guess I'm on the hunt for some more polka dot tights!

Love,
Midge

14 comments:

Betty2Tone (Laura) said...

Chinese Laundry is a good tights brand! I got a multipack last Christmas and they lasted all winter before I ripped one pair. For me, that's a lifetime

Betty2Tone (Laura) said...

I bought them at a Marshalls/Ross type of store so they were pretty cheap too

Jackie Humphrey said...

If you put clear nail polish on the vertical ends of the run, it should stop it from spreading any more temporarily!

Jackie Humphrey said...

P.S. that skirt is so cute!

Typical 90s child... said...

every damn time this happens! I had sworn off tights because of the stupid runs, and decided to just keep wearing the hole ridden ones that I have for all of eternity. But when I got some free credits from Oasap (a company I would never ever in a million years recommend!!!) I got some tights and I have to say that that was the one Oasap item that I did like, they lasted me for a good year now and are still perfect. For some reason this pair doesn't show up when you look through their website, I had to look up my order history for it, at $14 they aren't exactly cheap, but you can try and get some free credits :) http://www.oasap.com/trousers-leggings/3851-chic-dots-embellished-pantyhose.html

Angel said...

I've never heard of putting them in the freezer. But I'd try it? I always get my tights from like walmart or target...

Lauren Douglas said...

I just don't wear them any more. Ever since I was little I'd rip them. Always.

Jess Buckley said...

ah what a shame. The only things I know about tights are putting clear nail polish on small snags so they dont turn into runs, and spraying hairspray on your legs to keep your dress/skirt from being all static clingy.

Hopefully Smashing said...

I have hard about the freezer trick, apparently it helps soften the nylon so that it stretches easier and doesn't run so easily. I also put clear nail polish on runs when they happen and it stops them from getting bigger.

Emily said...

Oh no sucks about your tights! Dont you hate it when you get a run in them when you buy them... Just rock them anyway who cares! But I have heard that nail varnish can stop it going further

Rachel Sullivan said...

My god I might have to try that tip. She'll never know I fell for it if it's a prank, right? My tights run all the time.

Rachel

Sarah Shackleford said...

the run just makes you look more punk rock!

Sian said...

I've heard the freezer trick works, never tried it myself though. Cute outfit, I really love that brooch and your shoes. :)

Kitty Cat Stevens said...

i have my tights sorted into slashed/non-slashed categories because of this! I'm not sure how to keep them from getting the first run but after it happens i just try to wear the tear in the back.

my mom taught me how to "pull them up" without ripping them with fingernails but it's kind of hard to explain. . . you get your hands wet and then starting at the ankle, put a little pressure on your palms and glide upwards on each side of your leg. the tights kind of stick to your hands and are easily pulled up + back into place without pinching or tugging them.

i hope that made sense. . . maybe i'll just keep them in the freezer from now on instead!