Wednesday, August 28, 2013

On Wearing Nothing New

I like to watch a lot of TED talks while I work. The TV sometimes gets too repetitive for me, and I like to learn stuff while I stuff envelopes with buttons, stickers, and glitter. The other day, I stumbled upon this talk by Jessi Arrington on wearing nothing new, ie, buying everything second-hand and her outlook on feeling good in your own personal style. Give it a look! (it's fairly short)


I don't know how I went through this far having a style blog and not knowing about this lady. How cool is she?! Not only does Jessi look freakin adorable in everything, but she makes so many good points, and has been re-iterating what I've been telling myself for years. I keep on saying that I should go thrifting more often instead of buying new things. Sometimes it feels kind of wasteful to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to quit my H&M and Modcloth cold turkey (and I don't think I would want to, mad respect for this lady) however, I always feel so much more accomplished and socially conscious with a bag full of clothing that got their second chance with me.  But I won't get too preachy on you, though I have a feeling I may be preaching to the choir.

What I love most about this little speech is her focus on self confidence and being able to "rock" anything, as long as you feel great in your clothes. So why not have fun with that notion and so to a flea market or thrift store and go for a treasure hunt for your new favorite outfit that makes you feel amazing? It's good for the earth and cheap, and in my opinion way more fun than the mall. It's a win win. And as she illustrated, you can find some real cool and unique stuff.

I'd also thought I would share with you a little collage of my favorite outfits that feature second hand items from this blog!  photo thrifted_zpsbe5a0612.jpg

You definitely won't sacrifice looking cute buying second hand, but if anything you'll gain a sense of adventure, learn some somethings about your own personal style with experimenting with some "out-there" pieces, and of course some precious coins.

Now I really wanna go thrifting.
You can check out Jessi's blog at luckysoandso.com!

Love,
Midge

5 comments:

Siouxsie said...

All I'm going to say is: ebay! That's where I buy the majority of my clothes and shoes. I'm all for buying second hand and already used items. I don't like high street shopping, especially since I think the quality of clothes are bad. But I also like a bit more personal style, and so buy quite a lot of vintage stuff on ebay.

Midge Blitz said...

Good idea! For some reason ebay didn't even cross my mind while writing this, but whatever floats ya boat!

Bailey said...

Aw, I love this!

Hope said...

This has definitely been my motto for a while. I only buy new things if they are something I wouldn't find in a thrift store or be able to make myself. Such a great idea! You should also check out this blog http://refashionista.net/ she thrifts all her clothes and then re-styles them!

ellie said...

your outfits are so amazing. I tend to buy all secondhand clothes now...I just prefer them to all the mass-produced junk on the highstreet these days <3

http://roseandvintage.blogspot.com/