Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Roller Grrrl

























These be my new skates! They're pretty basic, good beginner skates. They were recommended to me by my buddies, Rhiannon who's also just starting out has the same pair. They're Riedell R3s, nice n' comfy and snug, with Radar Flat Our wheels which are good and wide/grippy, good for balance and for like not slipping, haha. I have yet to get the chance to actually skate on them, it's the dead of winter so going outside is a big NOPE, and because of recent snow storms here driving to the roller rink is also a NOPE. So I've kinda been hobbling around in them to get my feet used to them and stuff. I'm so excited to actually get to use them. Don't worry, I also got all the padding I'll need (safety first, people!) as well as some pretty purple outdoor wheels for when I find some good open lots to practice in! There's lots of those on this island.

They're super soft and "sticky" so I can skate on freakin' boulders with these wheels. I'm watching a ton of youtube videos and reading a lot of articles on derby gear, what kind of wheels are for what, how to maintain skates, and all that kind of stuff. The Gotham Girls in NYC have a bootcamp training, but I missed sign up by a DAY. So I signed up for their mailing list so I'll know right away when the next one is. For now I can practice on my own and watch lots of videos on skating. In the meantime, I wasn't lying when I said I really am just wearing them around the house. I couldn't help but do some GPOY skate shots.


It looks so funny wearing skates in my usual backdrop, on a carpet. Picture that, me hobbling back and forth in my room to a tripod in skates, haha. I love to accessorize, I can't help it, and to me, roller skates are the coolest accessory a girl can own. While learning to play derby and joining a league and making derby friends and being a part of a team is the main goal here, I can't help but drool about all the cool stuff I can buy to make my skates all pretty and all the sweet hot pants and knee socks I'll get to wear. Soon I wanna buy these pretty mint green toe stops, too! I have barely starting and I'm already having fun just thinking and learning about my new hobby here. I'm pumped!

Love,
Midge

10 comments:

weirdklown said...

Look at those snazzy new skates, they look great on you.

Katzi said...

Great skates!

Bry Hebenstreit said...

the next thing you need to get are round toe stops, the ones that come on the skates are horrible. i recommend the gumdrop ones : ) also better indoor wheels!!!!

Midge Blitz said...

Yeah I heard/read that, especially round ones that are easier to use. Thanks Gurrrl :) I gotta buy me some good pink indoor wheels haha

Jennifer @ grimmricksen said...

Fun! Makes me miss going to the local skating rink as a kid.

Jessie said...

Love those purple street wheels! I should look up some wheels that are good for the street. When I was sold my skates, the salesman told me the wheels I bought were fine for the street (even going to the beach with all that sand, which was my original intent!) but when I got outside I found it supremely difficult to get even a few yards from my steps (yet had no trouble at the rink with them)! Will have to look into that to see if my salesman was just trying to make a sale. :/

Kelsey said...

You are so cute! I know next to nothing about derby but going to bouts is a lot of fun!! Love yer outfit btw, that skirt is adorable. Where's it from?

LaMon said...

You're gonna love every single bruise in you body!!!!! Glad to se some freshmeat!!!! And yes, change the toe stops ASAP!

Midge Blitz said...

Hahahaha! I'm kind of excited to show off/compare bruises. I'm really happy to see so many other derby enthusiasts like yourself commenting lately. It's awesome! And I'm gonna buy me some new toe stops very soon, don't you worry :D

Midge Blitz said...

Thanks! Watching/going to bouts is so much fun. I've been watching a few on youtube, too lol. It's from H&M.