Monday, January 13, 2014

Rollin'

I'm normally not one for new years resolutions, but this time of year change is kind of just in the air, so new beginning kind of just...happens? This past weekend I did something I've been meaning to do since my late teens which was re-learn how to roller skate, so I can get comfortable with skating and eventually become the kick ass derby girl I've always meant to/wanted to be. Roller derby has always been in the back of my mind as a goal, and with the help of my dear friend Rhiannon, I'm getting on the ball. She's doing the same thing, and luckily, we have a friend whose a REAL LIFE derby girl, who gives such a good advice and pointers that we'd be (or at least me) lost without. I already ordered my skates, and I knew which ones to order that were good for beginners and all that good stuff.

So Saturday we went to a roller rink that I forgot existed and is really easy to get to from my house. Even with the uncomfortable and old rental skates I used, I was able to get the hang of it and now I'm thinking about roller skating constantly, I'm hooked on it. Even just as a hobby alone, skating made something click in my head where, "oh I love doing this". I've always wanted a hobby that involved moving around (main hobby being crafting/blogging, duh) and this is it. I've tried things like yoga, but that kind of stuff doesn't do it for me. I TRIED. I like fast paced, high energy stuff (ADD, I actually legit have it). I need something that can take my mind off things and gets those endorphins going. And I hate working out (HATE IT!!). So basically roller skating is my calling, or something. I've been spending a lot of time looking up outdoor roller rinks my be for when it get warm, and looking up indoor ones, too, and seeing if The Gotham Girls have any sort of training classes to offer (they do, but I was literally a day late to sign up). Although I want to wait a while till I actually try out for a derby league, I'm so pumped to get the ball rolling on this finally and start practicing. I DO have a name picked out for when that day comes. It's so good. I'm not telling anyone, haha.

I'm just so excited for this new thing to make me happy in my life and I'm also really super lucky to have friends in my life who share this interest with me that I can learn with and so I don't have to practice alone all the time. If it wasn't for that I probably wouldn't have made the leap to this do in the first place.

Here's to new fun things, yay!

Love,
Midge

13 comments:

Angel said...

How exciting. I've been looking into roller derby's too, it just looks like so much fun. But I haven't skated in years. The old roller rink in my home town closed down a couple years ago (I used to have birthday parties there!), and while they were shutting down they were giving away the old skates, can't use them but i still have them in my parents basement. Just as a reminder of the fun times I had there. And now I have to go look into finding some skates so I can practice once the weather gets better.

Sophierocious said...

Woohoo! I'm so happy for you. Derby is a big commitment, but you get so much out of it. I look forward to hearing about your progress. And finding out that kick-ass name!

donna goat said...

This is so weird, pretty much the exact same thing is happening to me right now. I met a girl on instagram who lives locally and shes a derby girl and I commented on one of her photos and she asked me if I want to try out in April, so I am off to buy skates next weekend and get practicing! Good luck I am sure you will be kick ass! I cant wait to see more! x

Laura said...

Go Midge! That is awesome. I am kind of the same with surfing, had always wanted to do it but didn't have the supportive friends to go with until two years ago! After trying it last year after a bad break up (I needed to get a physical hobby that didn't involve punching a pillow ;)) I'm hooked! We even moved into a house by the beach last month so we could be closer to the waves !
Goodluck and can't wait to hear your derby name. :)

Missy K said...

Yay! So excited to see you as a Derby Girl! My friend in Los Angeles was in the Tough Cookies! So cool. I love roller skating, but I don't know about joining the derby myself. I never liked gym class, but I have been doing trapeze and silks for a while. I haven't found anything I like better! So it's nice to have "a thing."

Jessie said...

Good luck to you!
I bought skates last year and have barely used them, might try changing that this year. But it's so much harder to skate on streets and sidewalks than in the rink, and I don't have one close by to skate at often. I was surprised because I used to rollerblade all the time as a kid, all over streets and everything! But as soon as I got on the street by my house, I fell and bruised my tailbone and that was the end of my derby career. lol.

Midge Blitz said...

Yeah, do it! If anything, skating is definitely fun.

Midge Blitz said...

Thank you so much! I don't plan to try out until I've had lots and lots of practice and training, but it is in the future :D

Midge Blitz said...

Ahhh that's awesome Donna! I'm so happy for you. Good luck to you as well! Let me know how everything goes for you <3

Midge Blitz said...

Yeah, support is really important when trying out new things like this that seem really really scary at first ya know. Have fun with your surfing!

Midge Blitz said...

It is nice to have a thing. I can totally see you doing trapeze, that is so freakin' awesome. I would pee my pants..scared of heights, haha!

Midge Blitz said...

Aww man! Good luck with getting back into it <3

Sophierocious said...

Awesome! Make sure to take part in any workshops the league may have for beginners.A good way to meet the league and learn some basics!