Wednesday, June 18, 2014

DIY // A Starry Nightlight

I'm here today with another simple DIY! I love xmas lights as decor, and I'm always thinking of new ways to display them aside from just sticking them to the wall, so this hanging light was born! Also, I didn't feel like buying a floor lamp for this dark corner in my living room. Yay, solutions!
(sidenote: those little dots are a result of my camera lens, they didn't show up in real life, unfortunately)

What you'll need:
+ Stretched canvas, 11 x 14 is used here
+ String of xmas lights, 6 ft long string is used here
+ Safety pins
+ Acrylic paint and brushes



Arrange your lights on the canvas in a spiral, leaving enough slack on the end for you to be able to hang it and plug it in once it's done. Careful not to puncture the lights with the pins!
I used safety pins cause I like how they look, but you can use any sort of pin you'd like. I feel like the pins that have the different colored dots on top of them would look cool with this, too!

Then, get to painting!



To go along with the name of the DIY, I went with a some what Starry Night inspired motif. 
























I used two small rounded brushes for my design. I always prefer rounded for almost anything, so much easier to do line work with.

Once it', dry, it's ready for hanging! Preferably right above an outlet.




This is great cause it also looks great during the day, too!
Love,
Midge

3 comments:

Delores Harshaw said...

This is such a cool idea, I love it!

Justine said...

I love it! I love christmas lights too. I think sometimes it looks juvenile but if done the right way it can be magical! We hung some lights along the rafters on the ceiling in our apartment!

Justine said...

YES! Dormy is the right description. Haha I keep meaning to do an apartment tour myself on my blog, so once I get around to it Im sure it'll make an appearance!