Monday, June 2, 2014

Statement Bookmark DIY


























I totally have a thing for crafting with paint swatches. Number one, they're free, and number two, they also come in every color imaginable, so the possibilities, people! Though the project I'm bringing you today isn't fairly complex, I'm still pleased with it.
You'll need:
+ 2 paint swatches in the color of your choice
+ Paint marker in your choice of a contrasting color. I chose a simple black and white.
+ Embroidery floss
+ Hole punch
+ Not pictured: packing tape and all purpose glue

Be sure to shake up the paint marker before getting started to mix the paint. You can pencil out what you want it to say first if you want. I think "Yeah, books!" is pretty appropriate. You can write the same thing on both sides or switch it up. I switched it up with some snarkiness.
When the paint is dry (about 10-15 minutes), cover one of the swatches with the packing tape, leaving a bit excess around the edges. Flip it around and then place the other swatch, design side up, and do the same, covering it with the tape, so that the excess around the edges stick together. Trim it a bit with some scissors, leaving a bit of tape around the edges (like a laminated card would) 
Punch a hole on the top to weave in the embroidery floss.
Start making a loop with the floss until you feel there's enough, but leave a bit of slack. Use that to wrap around the base of your loop, and when its completely wrapped around, dab some glue on it with your fingers to secure it. When that dries, trim the top off.
 Finito! Happy reading :)

Love,
Midge

7 comments:

Lisa Black said...

Very cute! Any project that uses up paint swatches is a winner in my books ~___^

Chloe Renee said...

This is such a cute idea!

Cate said...

So cute! I have a ton of paint swatches from re-doing my bedroom earlier this year, and I have too many books without bookmarks. Win win!

Aishling said...

Ohhh! This is a super idea! :D

http://sempresorres.blogspot.ie

Angela Vaughn said...

I just got back into reading and I'm so glad I saw this! This cute bookmark beats a twist tie anyday, haha.

FictionIncarnate said...

Absolutely love this idea!

-Meagan
fictionincarnate.weebly.com

Crissy said...

Cute!! I'll probably need to make one of these very soon.