Thursday, August 28, 2014

Some Art

I don't normally post my artwork just on it's own on here. My photos are cool and all, but my main background is in design.
I've started to post some silly drawings on my Instagram, I'm trying to get into just sitting down and drawing, and see what I can come up with. Some of my best ideas happened this way. 
A lot of my work can seem very twee and light hearted, but I like that it almost always has some sort of empowerment message behind it. Mike said it well when he said he sees a lot of people making subversive art with middle fingers on them, but he doesn't see many other people "making art like (then he gives the middle finger, tilts his head and smiles). "


These two hand designs are my new favorites. The are revamped versions of drawing I did for my 365 Ways of Feminism project, but I feel like they needed a colorful "update" if you will. My best work days are always days when I'm creating, and I love experimenting with my style using digital methods. When I look at pieces I got done during these days I get all happy, like a really fulfilling feeling that I get when I'm sitting at my desk making stuff. What am I really getting at here? I don't know, I just wanted to post some of my work but I felt I needed to write something to go along with it. Also, making art makes me happy.

Love,
Midge

5 comments:

Midge Blitz said...

Thank you! That's always been one of my favorites, too.

Midge Blitz said...

Thats means so much! Thank you :)

Kerri Heritage said...

I just really love that hand in the middle photo - I have no idea why and I might be holding my hand in that position wondering why it doesn't look that elegant!

Delores Harshaw said...

I can somewhat relate. In art school recently I was pushed to be less polite and more in your face about my feminist work, but that just isn't me. In the end people came around to what I was doing, I just think a lot of people already have an idea of what feminist art already looks like (photos of blood on panties, middle fingers, etc.) but I think there's many more nuanced ways to deal with these things as an artist and feminist. Anyways, I love what you do and these are fantastic <3

Kim@floatingthrufields said...

I really like the Roller Derby one :) It's fun to just take time to create, I have finally had some time to just sit and sew and draw and see what happens, that's always fun :)