Thursday, March 19, 2015

My Teenage Room

Yesterday I was browsing through old photos that I have burned on some CDs and I came across these gems. Photos of my teenage bedroom. I feel like this room was it's own entity. Whenever I had friends over for the first time I would sort of warn them, and then they would be left in some sort of angsty weirdo awe of it all. I had friends bring over other people specifically to hang out on here. It was THE room, it was infamous. And I embraced the hell out of that once I realized how much my craziness was appreciated. Because this was just how I liked my room to look, before I realized it was uh, nuts. My friends loved to find different things on the wall they haven't noticed yet, kinda like one of those I Spy books. I also can't tell you how patient my parents were with this crap. My mom would just close the door, hah! And now with out further ado, I'm opening this dusty and angry and cluttered baby punk vault that are the photos of my teenage bedroom...

Caution tape was my go to item in decorating at this time. My mom bought me rolls of it at Home Depot.
That's me, probably dancing to Hole, because I think I remember that day. And my pet fish.
I have such conflicting feelings of "oh my god how did I sleep in there" to "this is why I'm mad Rookie mag wasn't a thing when I was a teen" and "this is so amazing and beautiful and gross and I want it back"(maybe for just a day).  But I am SO GLAD I documented this, for real. This room was fucking magical.
I sewed! I was productive! I liked resizing giant band t-shirts into skimpy dresses for me and my friends, haha.
That little white purse in the upper right hand corner I thrifted, and when ever I went to show I would have band members sign the inside flap. I have NO IDEA where it is now, I just hope it's still at my folks place somewhere...

 Ugh I loved that vest. It had a giant tweety bird on the back so I covered it with that awesome X-ray Spex patch. But I really loved the black velvet collar!
Edit: Yes, that's a photo of the window, under the window. My poor father. He renovated the whole upstairs for us kids. That's what it looked like when I was like, 2.
 In 2011, I think, was when it got a complete over-hall. Posters down, painted a mint green and new carpet, and it's the same room you see in my old outfit photos when from I lived at home. Now it's my mom's own little yoga studio.
One thing I find amusing and somewhat comforting about finding these is honestly, not much has changed. I still have some of this stuff in my apartment today. I mean obviously, I no longer draw and spray paint my walls and floor (I drew on the FLOOR) that are otherwise covered with magazine clippings and my angry artwork (again, kudos to tolerant mom and dad), and I'm definitely more into dusting and de-cluttering these days, but I did keep a lot of this stuff. Because I still like it. I have the grape lights up in my office, along with that yellow Smashing Pumpkins poster. And I have that Ramones lunch box on the shelf in my bedroom.  I still collect creepy dolls things, I still love a lot of the same weird things. I just wish I knew what happened my my Evil Dead dvd case that look like a zombie face and it yelled when you poked it. And I am NOT afraid to admit that I still listen to Alkaline Trio!!

This kinda feeling came up when I was decorating a space of my own now a decade later and I see myself going back to wanting to display lots of conversation pieces and to make my home a place where people can take a gander at some cool stuff and have a cool discussion about it. It's kinda what makes me happy, is arranging and decorating with my own unique interests and sensibility. I hope you enjoyed this little peek into what was basically my own little world in high school, and that these photos didn't give you a headache.

Love,
Midge

16 comments:

Nicole said...

It looks a lot like my room in high school except it was mostly sports and very different musical tastes than yours haha! Is there a picture of the window underneath the actual window?!

emily said...

ah teenage rooms. what would we do without them.

Colleen said...

I had a room that looked a lot like this when I was in high school! Except for Weezer instead of Alkaline Trio. And I had a 10 foot American flag on one wall ;)


COOCOO FOR
COCO

Sarah Jane said...

Love this. Teenage rooms are magical. You've inspired me to scan in my old teenage room photos.

Midge Blitz said...

hahaha yes it is, I thought it was hilarious. A very drastic before and after.

Midge Blitz said...

Right?!

Midge Blitz said...

hahaha that rules!

Midge Blitz said...

Yesss do it! I had all the feels going through these old photos.

Tracey said...

Alkaline trio ๐Ÿ™Œ I wanna see pictures of my taped to the wall and the pennies and that giraffe glued to the wall!

Midge Blitz said...

THEY'RE SOMEWHERE. You need to come over soon and we'll go through all the cds that have all the photos on them.

Becky Bedbug said...

This is amazing! This is exactly what my teenage bedroom looked like but I don't have much in the way of documentation, sadly

Luvinia รณ Conchobhair said...

very kitsch, looks like a yard sale, and God knows I love yard sales' atmosphere

Natalie Mulford said...

I looove this post! Seeing pictures into peoples old rooms is amazing and makes me feel nostalgic! I too wrote on the floors of my room, my parents ripped up the carpet and when they re-carpeted, I was like 'can I just have the chipboard floor to draw on' and THEY LET ME. I still find that kind of crazy. My room had a lot of posted and such, but being honest, it was mostly pop bands (I LOVED 5ive), I even had my ceiling covered.

Courtney said...

Oh my God, this is the teenage bedroom of my dreams. My mom wouldn't let me do anything like this, so I had all this stuff pinned to a giant cork board in my room. At my dad's my room was a bit more poster/band picture covered.

Also, love the Nickelodeon alarm clock! I recently recovered mine and have it on my desk. It's not working quite right so I don't have it plugged in, but just seeing it makes me happy. :)

Holly Karnes said...

oooh I love this post!! By high school bedroom was much like yours. My friends would come over to check out the life size 'I spy' room too. I've found myself still decorating like this in my adult life in a way, plastering the walls with posters and art. Thanks for sharing this, it brought back some excellent memories of my own!!


Much love, xoxo
holly erinn
http://happinessbrand.blogspot.com

Midge Blitz said...

Yay, that's awesome! :)