Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Steve Zissou

Finally warm enough for outdoor photos again! BOOYAH. It was a balmy 54 degrees the day I took these, which was a welcome change. Still chilly, and I couldn't decide between spring or winter attire, so I chose both. I don't think I've ever paired a winter coat with a crop top before. It was weird.  I'm actually really pleased with how these came out. Though, those above pose does seem a little "Teen Vogue".

I think overcast of my favorite weather to shoot outside in, minimal shadows, and less sunlight also means less standing there baking/sweating. I should just make it a rule on every day with lighting like this to go out and shoot. This has become a favorite spot of mine, too. So many good background elements to play around with. I like the industrial looking beams, and when that gets old, there's the skyline.

I had to make a silly face with the coat of the shoulder pose, it can just be so cheesy sometimes and I can't help but laugh at the fact that I'm doing this alone. In public. Absurd. I've gotten over it though, joggers and stroller moms whiz past me and don't even bat an eye. I think its the east coast/nyc attitude of no one really cares what you're up to, they've gone their own shit to deal with. My shit being quirky self portraits, theirs being stretching using pilates straps attached to those metal beams behind me (I've seen that).

Ok, enough of me talking about the weird nuances about public solo outfit photos. We know already. Anyway, this hat reminds me of that Bill Murray character in The Life Aquatic, even though I've never seen it. I always have a ton of Wes Anderson movies on my to watch list. I STILL haven't seen The Grand Budapest Hotel which I'm still dying to. Is The Life Aquatic worth a shot too? Have ya seen it? I can't stop thinking about it because of this hat.




These boots. These poor, poor boots. They have taken such a beating. It's my first winter as a full on pedestrian and train/bus lady, and you can tell by the wear and tear in my shoes. All the rock salt stains! Ugh. Don't get me wrong, I like my new ways of transportation but I think I still owe my once favorite comfy boots and apology. I've been wearing them everyday pretty much because they are kinda in bad shape now because of the weather, and I don't wanna mess up another pair. Ha! Melt, snow!!

Love,
Midge

Top + Skirt// H&M  Boots// Bass  Coat// Bitten by SJP (so old, find it's twin here) Hat// Amazon  Bag// Street Level (similar)

6 comments:

emily said...

i wish i lived in a place where no one cared what other people were doing! haha!

Marianne said...

I love that you go out and photograph in places where people whiz past you with strollers and things. I've always liked that part about New York where people just DGAF.
I too love photographing when it's overcast. The colors are just so much brighter when the sky is dull and cloudy.
Love the Steve Zissou hat. I recommend the Life Aquatic over Grand Budapest. Honestly GP was a bit disappointing for me, it just seemed like a weird Tom and Jerry episode shot inside a giant dollhouse. My favorite Wes Anderson will always be the Royal Tenenbaums.

Midge Blitz said...

Good to know! I've teen Royal Tenenbaums, I loved it. And yeah, it's kinda nice that people let me be when I'm out shooting, haha.

Mindi Wooley said...

I love your outfit so much! Wes Anderson is my favorite director-so I would recommend any of his films. The Life Aquatic is so worth a watch, and The Grand Budapest Hotel was beautiful (and so funny!)

BabeAlert said...

The Life Aquatic has got to be one of my favorite movies of all time! Bill Murray is fantastic in it, it's funny and sweet and I could go on about it. It's in my top 5 to say the least :)
I also think taking pictures in public alone feels kind of silly. I can't even take a selfie if I know someone can see me haha

Midge Blitz said...

OK, now I have to see this movie! haha