So, I'm a huge music fan. It plays a really big role in my life and I love collecting vinyl. I'm constantly listening to music, so I thought that's a good enough reason to talk about it more here on the blog, no? I thought I'd talk about my favorite albums, new and old. This one is Keep It Like a Secret by Built to Spill (1999). God the late 90's had the best music...
The album is such a god mix of high energy and that weird spacey sound that Built to Spill is kinda known for. This album does such an awesome job of combining of the fast punk sound and the weird slow and echoey guitar sound that I think it's quickly become my favorite over the other album I've been listening to for years.
Vinyl is my favorite thing to collect, which makes is even more mind-boggling as to why I haven't really blogged about it too much. I also love a good excuse to photograph spinning records. It's fun!
I love finding out interesting tidbits about my favorite albums, thought I'd share one I recently I found out about this one in the song "You Were Right". They take a bunch of famous song lines and chant them after saying "you were wrong", putting a bit of a pessimistic twist on some of the famous lines. I'm more of a glass half full kinda gal but I can still appreciate all the references they managed to squeeze into one song. Here's the list (via Wikipedia):
- "Everything's gonna be alright", from the Bob Marley & The Wailers song "No Woman, No Cry" off of the 1974 album Natty Dread
- "All that glitters isn't gold", from the Neil Young song "Don't Be Denied" off of the 1973 album Time Fades Away
- "All we are is dust in the wind", from the Kansas song "Dust in the Wind" off of the 1977 album Point of Know Return
- "We're all just bricks in the wall", from the Pink Floyd song "Another Brick in the Wall" off of the 1979 album The Wall
- "Manic depression's a frustrating mess", from the The Jimi Hendrix Experience song "Manic Depression" off of the 1967 album Are You Experienced
- "You can't always get what you want", from The Rolling Stones song "You Can't Always Get What You Want" off of the 1969 album Let It Bleed
- "It's a hard rain's gonna fall", from the Bob Dylan song "A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall" off of the 1963 album The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
- "We're still running against the wind", from the Bob Seger song "Against the Wind" off of the 1979 album Against the Wind
- "Life goes on after the thrill of living is gone", from the John Mellencamp song "Jack and Diane" off of the 1982 album American Fool
- "This is the end", from The Doors song "The End" off of the 1967 album The Doors
Meh track: Carry the Zero. A little slow and whiney for my taste, but not terrible.
Hope you liked this new thing I'm doing! I'll try and do more of them.