Friday, March 13, 2015

That's my Jam // Built to Spill - Keep It Like a Secret

So, I'm a huge music fan. It plays a really big role in my life and I love collecting vinyl. I'm constantly listening to music, so I thought that's a good enough reason to talk about it more here on the blog, no? I thought I'd talk about my favorite albums, new and old. This one is Keep It Like a Secret by Built to Spill (1999). God the late 90's had the best music...

I've loved Built to Spill for about 5 or 6 years now, but for the life of me I don't understand how I ket on forgetting to get this album. Actually, I do. How I got into this band is how a lot of people in the early 2000's did was that my friend burned me a bunch of their cds for me. Just randomly, though, it was just like "Here, I think they're cool, you'll most likely agree" kinda thing. But for some reason this album wasn't included and I just never got around to getting it, even though I love everything else they've done.

The album is such a god mix of high energy and that weird spacey sound that Built to Spill is kinda known for. This album does such an awesome job of combining of the fast punk sound and the weird slow and echoey guitar sound that I think it's quickly become my favorite over the other album I've been listening to for years.

But with out a doubt my favorite thing about buying vinyl is the artwork. Nothing beats getting to hold a hard copy and admire the design work in this large format. I'm in love with with collage work on this album, and all the colors. My favorite might be the fairy wings.

Vinyl is my favorite thing to collect, which makes is even more mind-boggling as to why I haven't really blogged about it too much. I also love a good excuse to photograph spinning records. It's fun!

I love finding out interesting tidbits about my favorite albums, thought I'd share one I recently I found out about this one in the song "You Were Right".  They take a bunch of famous song lines and chant them after saying "you were wrong", putting a bit of a pessimistic twist on some of the famous lines. I'm more of a glass half full kinda gal but I can still appreciate all the references they managed to squeeze into one song. Here's the list (via Wikipedia):

Cool, huh?
Favorite tracks: Sidewalk + Center of the Universe. I like fast and catchy.

Meh track: Carry the Zero. A little slow and whiney for my taste, but not terrible.




Hope you liked this new thing I'm doing! I'll try and do more of them.

Love,
Midge

4 comments:

Courtney said...

LOVE this album. It's been far too long since I've listened to it though; might have to remedy that this afternoon. :)

Kathryn said...

I totally agree with you about the 90s. Nothing can compare. Excited to give this a listen - and (hopefully!) to read more of these posts!

x Kathryn
Through the Thicket

Midge Blitz said...

yay! :)

Midge Blitz said...

Awesome, good to hear you liked the post! And yeah, the 90's man. So good.