Friday, May 22, 2015

Spring Mood Board

 In my studio there's an original fixture thats pretty cool, a dumbwaiter! Though it's obviously not in use and painted shut, I decided to turn this area into my designated seasonal mood board. I felt I needed some external inspiration that wasn't on a computer screen, and a mood board is perfect for that.
 I listen to a podcast called "After the Jump" which is everything informational about blogging and being a small creative business runner. The host described this great method for making mood boards when you're feeling stuck, which is to rabidly flip though a big stack of magazines and to let your instincts guide you. Whatever you're drawn to, tear it out and don't think about it. When you're done, you should have a very clear image of your general aesthetic and you can get those creative juices flowing to make something awesome thats really true to your own unique vision. Also, it's a ton of fun. Now I'm really ready to make a new line of things for my shop!










Finding exterior inspiration is kind of vital for creatives, because as one of my professors from art school frankly said, you can't just pull stuff out of your ass, you need to look at other people's work and get inspired. So what presently inspires me is bright and fun color combinations, retro and hand drawn typography, plants, pigeons ( I love pigeons), and a somewhat spooky aesthetic.

Man, I'm so ready to make some cool shit! After the long weekend, of course ;)

Love,
Midge

8 comments:

Jess Buckley said...

love this mood board! Great colors too :)

Courtney said...

Nicely done! I love King Tuff. :)

Sarah DeBoice said...

This looks rad! Love the washi tape you've used too.

Erika said...

This is great! And I can't wait to see what you create. Where do you get all the magazines with cool stuff to tear out? I can never find good stuff like this.

Midge Blitz said...

Me too!

Midge Blitz said...

Thanks! :)

Midge Blitz said...

Thanks! I couldn't live without washi tape.

Midge Blitz said...

Thanks! It's all from BUST magazine. They're the best!